Guido van Rossum was obviously a super fan of the surreal but quintessentially British landscape of the 1970’s hit BBC comedy series, “Monty Python’s Flying Circus”. It starred the immortal comic actors John Cleese, George Chapman, Terry Gilliam, and Eric Idle. So when he was searching for a striking name for his new high-level programming language, Guido hit upon “Python”. And the name, which was short, unique, and memorable, stuck, as the popularity of this language reached sky high. Not surprisingly, given the simplicity, accessibility and versatility of this new language. From its beginning in 1991, Python has remained one of the world’s top five most popular languages. Thus, this short treatise on the Advantages of Python seems both timely and apt.
There are numerous top organizations using Python. Some of the most famous of them are:
- Google (Components of Google Search Engine and Google Spider)
- Yahoo (Maps)
Benefits and Advantages
Some of the Advantages of Python can be listed as below:
- Purpose and Type: Python is a high-level general purpose, which is a programming, dynamic language interpreted, that centers on readability.
- Few steps: Python has lesser steps in comparison to Java and C.
- Support: Python supports multiple programming paradigms, as is evidenced by the number of organizations supporting it.
- Memory Management: Python performs Automatic Memory Management.
- Libraries: Python naturally provides extensive support for Libraries, such as NumPy for numerical calculations.
- Open source Community Development: The fact that Python is open source ensures that it has truly vast community support. Programmers and designers from all walks of life have access to developing websites and coding, using Python.
- Learning: Learning Python is comparatively easy to learn.
- User-Friendly: It has User Friendly Data structures.
- High Level: Python can be used to solve the most complex of programming conundrums and problems.
- Typing: Python is a dynamically typed language. It is not necessary to mention the data type. It automatically takes data type, based on value assignment.
- Portability: It is an Object oriented language that is Portable and Interactive. Python is Portable across almost all Operating Systems.
- Applications: There are many applications of Python. Below are a few of them:
- Web frameworks.
- Enterprise and Business Applications.
- GUI based desktop applications (Games, Scientific Applications).
- Operating Systems.
- Language Development.
- Functions: Most types of Functions can be written in Python. These are, for example, Empty functions, Operator functions, Time Functions, Data Manipulations, Increment and Decrement Operators, Permutations of Sets, Swapping Two Variables in One line in C/C++, Python, PHP and Java, Division Operators, String Splitting, slicing and so on.
- Profitability: Python is the fastest growing programming language in the world, according to StackOverflow Trends. Future projections show that Python should overtake Java by 2021. Python is now recognized as the Third most Profitable Programming language on the Planet.